Sunday, September 12, 2010

Standards for "Neglect"

Ha! Ha! I have to laugh at my family and friends that think government run health care is the way for America to go. What fools.

As a USAF fighter pilot, I enjoyed health care for the elite – the Flight Surgeon Clinic was for me and my family (Military health care is government run heath care). When I went off flight status, we were relegated to Family Practice – oh joy! We have endured that, and celebrated every time we were referred to commercial providers who are so much more efficient, thorough, quick, etc. They have to – if they don’t do it right, the customer goes to someone else – competition – what a concept!

Now we have “Obama care.” Yes – some parts of the law have already kicked in!

One part in effect is “Standards for Care.” I call them Standards for “Neglect” – you will see why.

Two stories: (1) My military health care experience and (2) My neighbor’s private commercial care. Surprise! Surprise! His care is affected by new government standards also!

(1) My story:
Knee pain cranks up while I am visiting New Zealand. I get back to Alaska, 10 June, and the pain is not going away. I have a physical fitness test due and I cannot run.

I schedule a doctor appointment – I get seen in about one week. He puts me on a “Profile” – no running test for me.

He orders an X-ray.

“Doc, how about an MRI, this seems to be a soft tissue injury to me. The Median Collateral Ligament (MCL) is where the pain is.”

“Sorry – I have to order an X-ray first.”

About a week later I am expecting a result, but no call. I call on a Friday.

“The Doctor has up to 72 business hours to get back to you” – that is sometime Wednesday, next week!

No response! Remember, I am an active duty military officer who is required to maintain physical fitness for military deployment.

OK, I become a pest!

By 1 July I have a referral for Physical Therapy (PT) “ASAP” – still no MRI. At PT I am told they have no room for an “ASAP” – too many injured soldiers to deal with. OK – that’s fair, so I go up to Referral “Management” (Won’t you love your health care being managed). The young Captain nurse tells me they will NOT refer me to a commercial provider. Why? Because the Standards for Care say they have 30 days to provide me with PT. She schedules PT for me on 29 July!

“That is not my Standard for Care!” I exclaim, “That’s a Standard for Neglect!”

She doesn’t budge and the Doctor, whom she trumped, confirmed to me later that, “Yes, the Standards for Care is part of the new health care law that is in effect – and we have to live within it.”

A week later the pain has become worse and now my hip is becoming involved. I go to the PT Clinic. There are three technicians (Airmen) sitting behind the desk chatting.

“Excuse me, do you have any cancellations?”

All three laugh (at a Lt. Col.) in unison, “Noooo.” OK – I am miffed!

“Well, I need a cane NOW.”

“Sir, we can set up an appointment.” Note: I’m starting to get respect – not as a customer, but as an Officer.

“No. I need a cane NOW. I have had knee pain for more than one month and now the pain is going to my hip. I am not a doctor, but I think I need to get weight off my knee by using a cane. I tried my wife’s cane this morning, but it is wood and has been cut short. I need a cane NOW. Who has the authority to get me a cane NOW?”

Within a few minutes I was given a cane, but the first time PT evaluated my knee was 29 July – about 45 days after seeing the (powerless) Doctor. They ordered an MRI which I got on 2 Aug. The MRI confirmed an MCL injury and swollen bursa sacks above and below the knee cap.

Welcome to rationing through process management, based on Standards for Neglect! Ha! Ha! You fools!

(2) My neighbor’s private, commercial, government-directed health neglect, story:
I told my neighbor my story. To my surprise he trumped mine!

He took his son in with an obvious infection/fever. To his surprise he was not given any anti-biotic or anti-viral. Why? The doctor told him that the new health care law does not allow him to prescribe a medication until the patient has been sick for more than seven days – you read it – more than 7 days.

Next time they have to go in, “Doc, Johnny’s been sick for 7 days. What can you do for him?”

Ha! Ha! Go ahead – turn your life over to the government health care professionals – they do such a GREAT JOB!

My thoughts on health care solutions, next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment